Conor McGregor is ready to make his triumphant return, this time taking on the undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov in UFC 229. UFC president Dana White has called this match “the biggest in UFC history”, so you can be sure it’s one you won’t want to miss!
The Khabib vs McGregor bout is scheduled for October 6, 2018 at 10 p.m. ET (3 a.m. GMT+1). The preliminary fights include nearly a dozen added fights, as well, making it a full evening of entertainment. Pay per view is generally the easiest and most direct way of accessing the fights, but if you need an alternative, below we’ll cover all you need to know about watching UFC 229 using the free media center software, Kodi.
UFC 229 – The Details
The UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) was founded in 1993 as a mixed martial arts tournament, designed to test different fighting styles against each other. The first few bouts were awkward and not all that exciting. Soon, though, UFC caught on with fans like a house on fire, quickly becoming the largest MMA promotion in the world. Modern events draw in crowds of tens of thousands of people, with tens of thousands more tuning in via pay per view.
UFC 229 Time and Date
UFC 229 pits lightweights Conor McGregor against Khabib Nurmagomedov in what is sure to be a colossal battle. It takes place October 6, 2018 at the T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada. Early preliminaries start as early as 7:00 PM ET with the main bouts kicking off at 8:00 PM. The McGregor Khabib main card will begin at 10:00 PM ET, so make sure you’re in your seat, ready to go!
Full UFC 229 Fight Card
UFC bouts are arranged in cards, each pitting four or five pairs of athletes against each other. Some fights air exclusively on certain networks, while others are shown on UFC’s Fight Pass service. The main card is available to all pay per view streamers, complete with selected preliminary bouts and color commentary.
- Lightweight – Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Conor McGregor
- Lightweight – Tony Ferguson vs. Anthony Pettis
- Light Heavyweight – Ovince Saint Preux vs. Dominick Reyes
- Heavyweight – Derrick Lewis vs. Alexander Volkov
- Women’s Strawweight – Michelle Waterson vs. Felice Herrig
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
- Bantamweight – Sean O’Malley vs. José Alberto Quiñónez
- Flyweight – Sergio Pettis vs. Jussier Formiga
- Welterweight – Vicente Luque vs. Jalin Turner
- Women’s Bantamweight – Aspen Ladd vs. Tonya Evinger
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
- Women’s Bantamweight – Lina Länsberg vs. Yana Kunitskaya
- Lightweight – Scott Holtzman vs. Alan Patrick
- Lightweight – Gray Maynard vs. Nik Lentz
- Welterweight – Ryan LaFlare vs. Tony Martin
Before Streaming, Secure Your Connection with a VPN
VPNs are vital tools for the modern internet user. Streamers, casual users, and heavy downloaders alike can benefit from their encryption, anonymity, and location variability features, all of which work together to keep you safe and sound each time you go online. VPNs are especially important if you plan on using Kodi to watch UFC, as this activity tends to draw added scrutiny from ISPs.
Choosing the Right VPN
Can’t decide which VPN is best for Kodi? How about which one is top of the line for UFC and other sports? We’ve made the process a little easier for you, by outlining the most important qualities you need in a VPN to ensure every stream and every download is as fast and secure as possible. We’ve also provided a recommended VPN you can use for all the best features, including full and unlimited access to Kodi.
- Fast speeds – All VPNs introduce slowdown, but the best optimize their service for minimal slowdown when streaming.
- Network distribution – The more servers a VPN runs, the better your experience will be.
- Wide device support – Make sure your VPN runs on smartphones and tablets alike for protection on the go.
- Zero-logging policy – Only sign up with VPNs that have a strict zero-logging policy. Otherwise, you invite third parties to track your activity online.
The Best VPN for Kodi – IPVanish
IPVanish combines all the best privacy and security features to make it perfect for using with Kodi. The service delivers incredibly fast speeds, has amazingly strong privacy policies, excellent encryption, and a huge network of over 1000 servers in 60+ different countries. As soon as you sign up, you’ll have full access to all of Kodi’s amazing add-ons without having to worry about your ISP throttling your connection. You stay anonymous while accessing the full, uncensored internet, all with just a few clicks!
Security features built into the IPVanish experience include DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch, two innovations that help keep your identity and real-world location hidden. Data sent from your device is secured with impenetrable 256-bit AES encryption to make it unreadable to third parties, and IPVanish’s zero-logging policy on all traffic ensures no one can get their hands on that data once it leaves their servers.
Watch UFC 229 Online with Kodi
If the pay per view options are too expensive or simply not available to you at the moment, Kodi may offer an alternative solution. The free and open-source media player grants you access to a huge variety of third party add-ons, many of which focus on live sports, MMA events, and other related content.
Choosing and Installing the Best Kodi Add-ons for UFC
To get access to free sports and UFC streams on Kodi, you’ll need to install the right add-ons. These are most frequently bundled together in third party repositories for ease of access. You need to add the repos first, then grab the add-ons individually. This process seems a little complicated at first, but after a few tries you’ll see how intuitive it can be.
Before you begin you’ll need to toggle one of Kodi’s internal options to allow it to manage and install external content. Follow the steps and you’re ready to begin.
- Open Kodi and click on the gear icon to enter the System menu.
- Go to System Settings > Add-ons.
- Toggle the slider next to the Unknown sources option.
- Accept the warning message that pops up.
Note: Kodi’s unofficial add-ons pull content from a wide variety of sources, including some streams that may or may not be legal in your country. Addictive Tips does not condone or encourage any violation of copyright restrictions. Please consider the law, victims, and risks of piracy before accessing copyrighted material without permission.
Maverick Repository (SportsDevil and Joker Sports)
The Maverick repo is one of the better Kodi resources for live sports content, especially since it contains two extremely useful add-ons that focus exclusively on sports. Start by following the steps below to install the repository to your device, then we’ll cover the specific add-ons you’ll want to grab.
- Open Kodi and click the gear icon to enter the System menu.
- Go to System Settings > Add-ons.
- Toggle the slider next to the Unknown sources option. Make sure it’s white and to the right, allowing you to install third party repos.
- Accept the warning message that pops up.
- Open a web browser and go to the official Maverick repository.
- Download repository.maverickrepo-3.5.zip and save it somewhere convenient.
- Back in Kodi, go to the main menu and choose Add-ons.
- Click the box icon and select Install from Zip File.
- Navigate to where you saved repository.maverickrepo.zip
- From the open box menu, choose Install from repository.
- Scroll down and open the MaverickTV repository.
- Enter the Video add-ons folder.
- Now you can install individual add-ons (see below).
Inside the Maverick repo you’ll find two resources for watching UFC: SportsDevil and Joker Sports. SportsDevil’s content is sorted by resource, not sport, which makes things a little confusing. To find UFC fights as they air, check out the resources in the list below.
Joker Sports is a simple but full-featured extension with tons of great content ready to stream. It has everything from Pac 12 to beIN channels, BT Sport, Sky, and dozens more, many of which are in HD. To get UFC fights on the night they’re live, all you need to do is fire up Joker Sports, choose BT Sport or Fox Sports broadcast networks, and enjoy your free streams.
To install SportsDevil or Joker sports, follow the steps listed above, then look for the add-ons by name.
This add-on doesn’t bother sorting or organizing content, nor does it provide customization options or content filters. Instead, Sports365.Live pulls from a ton of different sports streaming sources and dumps them in a single list sorted by time. Finding what you want often means sifting through pages of unrelated content, but once you do set your eyes on something worthy, you’re almost guaranteed to have a selection of reliable and high quality streams.
Sports365.Live is known to offer streaming UFC content on occasion. Pay per view events such as UFC 229 can also make their way onto the service. There’s no way to know for sure ahead of time, unfortunately. All you can do is check the add-on the night of the fight and hope you get lucky. For this reason, Sports365.Live is a good add-on to keep installed as a backup.
You’ll find Sports365.Live available from the Bookmark repository, a relative newcomer on the Kodi scene. First you’ll need to add this repo to your system, then look for the add-on and install it. The steps below will guide you through the process.
- Open up your browser, and type in the following URL: https://archive.org/download/selflesslite
- Click on the link that says repository.bookmark-#.#.zip, your download should begin automatically.
- Move the file to a location that is easy to find, like your device’s desktop.
- Open up Kodi, then click or tap Add-ons > the open box icon > Install from zip file
- Next, navigate to the directory where you stored the zip file (we stored ours on Desktop).
- Click the file to begin installation of the repo. After a moment, you’ll get a notification indicating success.
- Going back to the open box menu again, choose Install from repository.
- Select Bookmark Repository followed by Video add-ons.
- Look for the Sports365 add-on in the list, then click to install.
- When the download completes, you can access Sports365.Live from the main add-ons menu at any time.
UK Turk Playlists
UK Turk Playlists is one of the Kodi community’s longtime favorites. It’s one of the best resources for TV shows old and new, and it comes with a variety of source links for foreign films, independent content, and Hollywood blockbusters. Better still, UK Turk Playlists features a wide variety of sports streaming categories that are perfect for finding UFC bouts the night they air.
To use UK Turk Playlists to watch UFC 229 on Kodi, all you have to do is wait for the preliminaries to begin, open up the add-on, then search for a viable stream. Fox Sports 1 and BT Sport are both reliable resources for UFC content, so make sure to check them first.
To learn more about UK Turk or to install the add-on, check out our complete guide to installing UK Turk Playlists.
It’s easy to find UFC content online, especially if you live in the right area and have reliable access to pay per view sources. If you don’t, though, Kodi delivers some great alternatives. With a few minutes of time and the right add-ons, you can turn your device into a powerhouse of UFC content.
Got any questions about using our suggested add-ons, or Kodi in general? Who are you pulling for in UFC 229? Let us know in the comments below!